Well, the information I gave you is using the AIR Application Updater. It
wraps that functionality up. The AIR updater is a framework that notifies
your users of new updates, allows installs from the web, provides a nice UI
and so on.

But at it's simplest form AIR apps can be updated by creating a new version
and double clicking on it. When you do that it will prompt you that you
already have the app installed and if you want to overwrite the installed
version.

Like everyone said just make sure the version number is newer, the id in
the descriptor is the same, and the certificate is the same.