Hey Phil:

I highly recommend using ANEs for native integration and to do the types of
things you are doing. My experience with Google APIs, places, calendar were not
that good either.

Here is an ANE you should consider. Sure it costs a little money, but only
about the cost of a lunch for two per year:

https://airnativeextensions.com/extension/com.distriqt.Calendar
<https://airnativeextensions.com/extension/com.distriqt.Calendar>

This ANE integrates with the native calendars and allows you to schedule events
that will notify the user, etc. Seems it will do what you want.

Here is the full list of very well supported ANEs from the same company we use
for our ANEs.

https://airnativeextensions.com/extensions
<https://airnativeextensions.com/extensions>

They cost a little (actually quite inexpensive), but you get first-class
support in docs, tutorials, forum, and tech support. We pay $10/year for the
fingerprint manager/touch ID ANE and $35/year for all native dialogs, like
busy, alert, choices, and we use the same license for multiple applications.
Everything we've implemented with these ANEs has worked perfectly.

Cheers,

Erik