No problem.

Also if you use this 2nd way, when the results are returned you'd have to
make sure to call the removeAll method to rest the collection before adding
more items to it.

If you prefer binding, Another way would be to bind the getter to an event
and dispatch that event when the results are received. Then use the getter
in you data grid using curly bracket bindkng. Then when the even is fired
the getter would get triggered  and the data grid would be updated