We optimized our polling pattern so the API we hit every 20 seconds returns
only about 100 bytes representing what other APIs to call back to retrieve just
what's changed. It's all done in a few milliseconds. If there are changes, we
retrieve just those changes and reconcile with existing data in the app. Very
fast and efficient.

I stand corrected on Android apps always running in background. That was an
older version Android problem we ran into but since Marshmallow, this shouldn't
be a problem for you. With both Doze and Standby, you shouldn't have to worry
about your app using battery when it's not in the foreground unless you meet
the criteria listed in the article.

https://www.greenbot.com/article/3027918/android/how-doze-and-app-standby-finally-fixed-android-battery-life-in-marshmallow.html

<https://www.greenbot.com/article/3027918/android/how-doze-and-app-standby-finally-fixed-android-battery-life-in-marshmallow.html>

I have never tried to reduce frame rates.

Erik