From: Paulus de B. [mailto:w.p.stuur...@knollenstein.com]
Sent: 31 May 2019 11:59
To: users@flex.apache.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL] RE: Adobe AIR Maintenance and support changes

Our revenue model does not depend on the number of users but on how they use
it. So each user (actually client) gets charged a different monthly amount
depending on usage, not on how many users this client has. And by usage, we
mean actual processing done on our servers for our clients. They use the app to
determine what to do, but our servers do the processing (hence we can charge
for usage).

Therefore, with every development tool / IDE / platform / database we have to
select, as soon as there is a per end user license we drop it from our list of
options.

Besides the cost, the per end user license is a nightmare to administer. We
have thousands of users currently using our Flash app which we intend on
migrating to Flex/AIR. With users being added / removed every week I can tell
you upfront we are not going to setup an entire administration just for license
fees. And remember, we are coming from the Flash player in the web browser
which both have no per end user license model.

And what if you want a freemium model? With a per user license you can't roll
out a freemium model because you want users to use your app for free to start
with.

The per end user limits the deployment of apps whereas AIR is such a great
solution to the multi platform problem it should be all over the place.

I completely understand if you are going to maintain and develop the AIR player
you have to get paid. But the per end user route limits the AIR deployment
severely (and thus in the end will actually give you less revenue).

Don't get me wrong, I love the Flex/AIR combination and we don't mind paying a
(reasonable) developer seat fee for it. But like I said, the per end user
license is a no go will make us drop it from our list.

--
Sent from:
https://clicktime.symantec.com/3TCCUGWDrH9RPpGf9HSktLw7Vc?u=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com%2F