This sounds like your WMS layer is a cached layer with a projection
different from the one determined by the Google layer (Web Mercator,
EPSG:900913 or 3857).

Note that if your Google layer becomes the first visible layer, it will be
the base layer, and the other grid layers will be requested in the Web
Mercator projection. If, on the other hand, your WMS layer becomes the base
layer, all other grid layers will use its projection.

So when working with Google or other Web Mercator layers, you should make
sure that all your other layers also support Web Mercator.