Thanks for the link. I am actually getting started with Ext JS and GeoExt at the same time. (maybe this is a bad idea ... ). Understanding the BasiGX components is still a bit unclear to me. And the web apps I mentioned earlier are very complex and hence also hard to understand.

The examples on http://geoext.org/ are nice and easy to understand, but I find it challenging to convert the single file into the proper folder structure of Ext.

At the moment I am trying to build a pretty standard web mapping application with a main map, an overview map and a layer switcher. The overview map works, but I struggle to build the layer switcher, because I do not figure out how to access the layers from map. This is what I did so far: https://github.com/JakobMiksch/HelloGeoExt

Not sure if this is a general Ext question:
But what is the "best practice" way to exchange the map and its layers between the different components?

Is there any rather simple GeoExt based app that I could use a template?

Cheers and have a nice weekend,
Jakob