On 12/08/10 13:16, Craig A. Eddy wrote:

> On 12/08/2010 11:13 AM, Craig A. Eddy wrote:
>>
>> On 12/08/2010 10:41 AM, webmas...@krackedpress.com wrote:
>>>

>>> Can you have both OOo and LibreOffice installed on Ubuntu?
>>>
>>> I know that Go-oo and OOo look the same and use the same
>>> menu and folders for Ubuntu.  I was wondering if LibreOffice
>>> will use a different set of folders and such so I can install it
>>> along side OOo 3.2.1 on my Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit desktop.
>>>
>>> I am not a "expert" with Linux so it was "hard" for me to
>>> figure out how to get Go-oo off my system and put OOo
>>> from OOo's web site onto my system.  It would be nice
>>> to have OOo on Ubuntu's repository and be able to choose
>>> which version to use.
>>>
>>> I did read that Ubuntu was thinking about placing LibreOffice
>>> in its repository.  I do hope that you will be able to choose
>>> between version/branches of OOo, or be able to have both
>>> OOo and LibreOffice installed at the same time.
>>>
>>> So the question still is, can you have both OOo and LibreOffice
>>> installed into Ubuntu?
>>>
>>> Please make any instructions easy to use.
>>> Between a stroke and my "beginner-ish" knowledge of Ubuntu [or Linux],
>>> I need complete instructions that are easy to understand.
>>>
>> I'm running Debian Testing (Squeeze/Sid) and have both the repository
>> version of OO.o and the RC1 of LO installed on the machine.  Each has
>> their own DOT folder (.libreoffice and .openoffice.org) in which the
>> configurations are kept.
>>
>> To install the .deb package(s) of LO, download the Linux .tar.gz
>> (LibO_3.3.0rc1_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz .  Look on the
>> download page near the bottom for the Debian download), place it in a
>> directory and unarchive it (file roller works well for this).  It
>> creates a directory called LibO_3.3.0rc1_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US in
>> which are 3 other directories.  Go to the DEBS directory and you will
>> see a BUNCH of .deb files and a directory (remember the directory, we'll
>> get back to that in a minute.
>>
>> Open a terminal (probably in your Applications menu, near the bottom)
>> and path to the directory where you've unarchived the .tar.gz.  (cd
>> [name of the directory]).  In the terminal type sudo dpkg -i .deb (you
>> can copy and paste it from this post, if you like).  It will ask for
>> your password (same password you use to log into Ubuntu).  It will run
>> for a couple of minutes.  When it stops LO will be installed and you
>> will be back to the prompt in the terminal (The prompt should be [your
>> na...@[name of your computer]:~[directory name]$ )
>>
>> NOW we'll talk about that other directory in the DEBS directory, called
>> desktop-integration.  Path into it (cd desktop-integration) and use the
>> same command that you used to install the .debs before (sudo dpkg -i
>> .deb).  This will install the icons and menu connections for you in
>> Applications -> Office.
>>
>> After that, you're on your own.  You will notice that you have icons for
>> both LO and OO.o in Applications -> Office.  At this point, they are
> [...]
Thanks.  This is the first day I am using this list and the
archive threads about Debian LO did not seem to answer the
question of having both OOo and LO installed.

I do like that fact that LO will use a different folder option
from OOo.  Go-oo uses the same as OOo and Ubuntu repository
calls Go-oo by the name of openoffice in the repository.

I want to try LO and see if I will use it over OOo and see if
I will be telling my friends and old business contacts to try
or switch to LO instead of OOo.