On 12/08/10 15:02, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
> On 08/12/2010 18:13, Craig A. Eddy wrote:

cut

>> Open a terminal (probably in your Applications menu, near the
>> bottom) and path to the directory where you've unarchived the
>> .tar.gz.  (cd [name of the directory]).  In the terminal type sudo
>> dpkg -i .deb (you can copy and paste it from this post, if you like).
>> It will ask for your password (same password you use to log into
>> Ubuntu).  It will run for a couple of minutes.  When it stops LO will
>> be installed and you will be back to the prompt in the terminal (The
>> prompt should be [your na...@[name of your computer]:~[directory
>> name]$ )
>>
>> NOW we'll talk about that other directory in the DEBS directory,
>> called desktop-integration.  Path into it (cd desktop-integration)
>> and use the same command that you used to install the .debs before
>> (sudo dpkg -i .deb).  This will install the icons and menu
>> connections for you in Applications ->  Office.
>>
> [cut]
> Why all this tedium of installing twice? sudo dpkg -iR ./DEBS from the
> immediately superior directory does the same job in one go.
>
> Peter HB

I know for OOo, you need to install the main DEBs and then need
to install the DEB menu or desktop integration file[s].  They are in
separate folders and must be done separately.

It that what you mean by installing twice?

I never seen the dpkg -iR ./DEBS terminal command before.
Of course, I have little references to the terminal in my thick
Ubuntu book.  It has been a long while I have used a command
line based command system.  It has been since PC-DOS days
for desktops and DEC and IBM mainframe days for the other
systems.  So I need to learn Ubuntu's terminal commands and
how to use them correctly.

Actually I will be backing up my files and data soon and then
wiping my Ubuntu system to re-install Ubuntu to fix some
errors that cannot be fixed in any way I know of.  backup
to an external 1 TB and then wipe the internal 1 TB and reinstall
everything.  I may drop OOo for LO at that point, if I like it
better. I should be dual booting the system with 64-bit Ubuntu
and 64-bit XP at this point so I will need to install LO on both
OSs.