HI webmaster,

I have decided to stick with what I have and wait until the program is more
easily accessible.

Thank you for your help.

Wanda

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 8:19 AM, webmas...@krackedpress.com <
webmas...@krackedpress.com> wrote:

> On 01/20/2011 12:39 AM, NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 01/18/2011 06:15 PM, wlb wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have been trying to install the Libre Office onto my computer.  I am
>>> using
>>> Ubuntu Linux, 10.10.  I have tried several times to down load it, even
>>> one
>>> that took hours.  I finally stopped it.  I tried to follow the
>>> instructions,
>>> but I am not technologically literate and I tried to follow as best I
>>> could.
>>>
>>> Libre Office was not automatically installed when I upgraded.  Open
>>> Office
>>> was the only office program that installed.  I am hoping that you can
>>> help
>>> me.  I would really like to try your program.  Everyone on the Linux
>>> forum
>>> speaks so very highly of it.
>>>
>> Wanda, given your experience level I'd recommend (for the time being)
>> that you stick with what you already have installed (OOo). LibreOffice
>> is currently in RC (Release Candidate), meaning that it is still in the
>> testing phase. Wait until LO is fully released, or had someone assist you.
>>
>> However, if you still wish to give LO a try (and I hesitate to advise
>> this if you have a dailup connection where the download takes "hours"):
>>
>> 1. Download the .deb package from:
>> http://www.libreoffice.org/download
>> <
>> http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/testing/3.3.0-rc3/deb/x86_64/LibO_3.3.0rc3_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz
>> >

>> 2. Go to where you downloaded the .gz and right-click and select
>> 'Extract here'. Then follow Mark&  Baldwins's instructions (and you'll
>> need to open the terminal to do this (Applications|Accessories|Terminal):
>>
>> $ cd LibO_3.3.0rc3_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US/DEBS
>> $ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
>>
>> then
>>
>> $ cd desktop-integration
>> $ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
>>
>> You should then find LibreOffice in Applications|Office
>>
> I have been told that Ubuntu uses Go-oo version of Openoffice.org, not
> the version that you can get with downloading from OOo's web site.  I
> have 10.10 myself.  The splash screen is different between what is in
> Ubuntu's install and OOo's web site install.
>
> I have both the Ubuntu install of Openoffice.org and LibreOffice RC3
> installed.
> To be honest, I do not know what is the real difference between the 3.2.x
> version
> of Ubuntu's OOo and LibreOffice 3.3.x RC3.  One thing I can tell you is
> that
> currently OOo 3.3.x is at the RC9 level, since they look like there is a
> bug that
> they are having trouble to fix, but it also looks like RC9 may be the that
> Release Candidate.  Also Ubuntu stated that once LibreOffice is in full
> release,
> not a RC release, it will be added to the repository.  So you may have a
> choice
> which version you would like from their software management system.

** "Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those
who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X
 <http://www.facebook.com/theblackreport/posts/182952568405023>