Hi Baldwin linguas,

I do have a 64 bit system.  The technician who built my computer and
introduced me to Linux made sure I knew that.  Thank you for your patience,
understanding and taking the time to type this out step by step.  I will try
it and see what happens.

Thank you,

Wanda

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:14 PM, baldwin linguas
<baldwinling...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 9:33 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 6:15 PM, wlb <wlba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have been trying to install the Libre Office onto my computer.  I am
> using
> >> Ubuntu Linux, 10.10.
> ...CLIPPAGE...
> >>  Everyone on the Linux forum
> >> speaks so very highly of it.
> >>

> > LibreOffice is still in beta test, so you won't get it as an automatic
> > anything yet.
> >
> > You have to download the .deb gzipped-tar file, uncompress it and then
> > run the installation directly.  Just be sure you have the right
> > version: Linux x86 or x64 (deb) and pick your language.  x86 is for
> > 32-bit systems, x64 for 64-bit (of course).
> >
> > tar xzf <the file you downloaded>, cd into the newly created LibO_*
> > directory, then cd into the DEBS directory, run 'sudo dpkg -i *.deb",
> > then cd into the desktop-integration directory and run the same dpkg
> > command again.
> >
> > That's it.
>
> That probably sounds like Chinese to our new friend here, who is
> clearly new to the gnu/linux world.
>

> Wanda,
> Most likely, you need this file:
>
> http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/testing/3.3.0-rc3/deb/x86/LibO_3.3.0rc3_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz
> (unless you have a 64 bit system, which is possible but unlikely, in
> which case you would want this file:
>
> http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/testing/3.3.0-rc3/deb/x86_64/LibO_3.3.0rc3_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz
> This second is ONLY for 64bit, such as an Athlon processor, or such).
>
> Download it somewhere in your /home directory.
> Open your filebrowser, likely Nautilus, by default in Ubuntu, I
> believe, find and right-click on the file.
> Choose "extract" from the menu that pops up.
> You will then have a new directory/folder such as
>  LibO_3.3.0rc2_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US (or similar)
> click into there, and you will find another directory called
> DEBS
> Click into there.
> Now, you're going to have to right click and choose "Open in terminal".
> A command prompt terminal will appear.
> That is when you enter the command
> sudo dpkg -i *.deb
> (you will have to enter your password)
> Then you'll see a lot of text whiz by, and with any luck in a moment or two
> you'll have LibreOffice installed.
> Once all that text is done whizzing by, check for any error messages.
> If there are any, copy them  to an e-mail and send them to the list.
> Otherwise, no errors, you should find that LibreOffice is installed.
> You can close the command line terminal and enjoy your shiny new
> office suite.
>
> (c'mon guys...I don't use ubuntu or gnome, but I could explain that
> easily enough
> for a n00buntu-er, and it took all of 2 minutes).

> [...]

** ‎*"Everything will change when your desire to move on exceeds your desire
to hold on." Alan H. Cohen*