Andy <convenientpark...@gmail.com> wrote (02/24/2011 issue 157_2886):

> I've been using LibreOffice for a couple months now to grade student's papers,
> to which I append ample comments. I've just discovered that when I save the
> document in Microsoft 2007 format and then open it up again, all the comments
> I've written disappear.
> Is there any way to retrieve them? Is that
> information still contained somewhere within the file?

Hi,

File format descriptor (first 2 bytes) of *.docx files is PK, i.e. zip format.
Use some un-zipper (7-zip, WinRAR, ...) to extract the document tree structure.
The document contents itself is in "\word\document.xml",
and the comments are in "\docProps\core.xml".
(Use Notepad or similar, search "description".
 XML-Notepad couldn't help, for me at least.)

Regards,

Lyudmil