Le 01/05/2011 04:44, Nuzhna Pomoshch a écrit :

The language selector in the spell check dialog box is blank

???

*this* is strange. Are you sure you have set the correct dictionary? Is it listed in the extensions thingy (Tools /Extensions manager)? If not, you've won the right for a reinstall... :)

If I start typing gibberish, the first letter does get changed to
a capital, so I know that at least some part of the language tools
is working.

This is the auto-complete process at work (Tools / Autocomplete menu), not the language tool.

Any idea about what is causing this?

What is the language displayed in Format / Character, Font thumbnail, Language?

It should be set to the language you're checking.

--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux