Le dimanche 08 mai 2011 à 17:54 +1000, Jean Hollis Weber a écrit :
> On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 09:33 -0700, George Rodier wrote:
> > Caveat, I am new to the LibreOffice users list. Please do let me know
> > where I should direct my suggestion.
> >
> > As a Canadian I recently attended LinuxFest Northwest in Bellingham, WA.
> > It was a great event and LibreOffice was well represented there.
> >
> > All went well until I heard some folk calling it LeeBRAY-office. Ouch!
> > Please, there is NO accent on the final letter in 'libre'- so no
> > braying, eh?
> >
> > May I suggest that somewhere on their site LibreOffice give suggestions
> > for pronouncing the product name in English.
> >
> > To my ears 'LEEbruh' would be close (Lee as in Bruce Lee or even Robert
> > E. Lee and 'bruh' like the first syllable of brother in American).
> >
> > No doubt a proper linguist could give better instruction. Please do.
>

> It's in the FAQs:
> http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/faq/general-faq/how-do-you-pronounce-libreoffice/
>

> --Jean

Sorry Jean, the FAQ link is to Google traduction which offers to
translate the term LibreOffice from français to anglais and then
pronounces it "Library Office" - disgusting! - and meaningless.

At the same time if one asks it to translate Libre from French to
English is clearly says Free - so the translation, or at least
pronunciation, should have been FreeOffice, eh? Free would certainly be
closer than Library!

Sadly, Google can't even pronounce Cartier or Perrier correctly - they
do not rhyme with furrier, and neither does Bouvier. Both Jacques
Cartier and Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onasis must be turning in their
respective graves.

Georges