When I did a previous list, just for my class, I used the merge cells function
without any problems whatsoever. That was over a year ago, so that spreadsheet
was probably developed using OO, not LO. So, that makes me wonder if there is
something lacking, or a bug in LO that is causing this. I still have that older
spreadsheet, and can open it in LO, and everything is still just like it should
be, with the cells merged. Is there a default setting in the options somewhere
that is different between the 2 - OO & LO? Or, is this a bug? It seems to me
that once you have told cells to merge, they should stay merged until you
"un-merge" them. What's going on here??????? I thought this list was for
answers????
Roxy

Hi :
I'm not sure why the merge-cells wasn't working.  When i was running a similar
list i found combining cells made the list very unwieldy.  Invariably i would
then need to sort the spreadsheet some unexpected way and that would be
impossible.  By keeping each element separate in the table it keeps your list
flexible.

I agree about 11pt being the smallest and many people recommend 12pt for
accessibility issues.

With the database program it should be possible to create a special query that
fills a row with a single result.  That would help get 1955 into a field/column
in all rows/records.  Later you could add another class and set the query to
look-up whether the field already has an entry and if empty would put in the new
value.

Most people have real trouble grasping database programs.  The 4 different
components; tables, queries, forms and reports with only the tables containing
the real data is difficult to understand.  It's quite different from Word/Writer
where the data that you see is where it appears to be.  In queries, forms and
records the data is not really there, it's only in the table. It's a bit like
html where pictures are not embedded into the document and have to be kept in a
good place that the html page can see.