From: Nuno J. Silva [mailto:nunojsi...@ist.utl.pt]
Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2011 14:27
To: users@global.libreoffice.org
Cc: 'Andrew Foss'
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Calc Major Bug

On 2011-06-19, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> Nuno J. Silva [mailto:nunojsi...@ist.utl.pt]  wrote:
>>
>> On 2011-06-19, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>>
>>> I am surprised there is no File | Import ... Calc menu item for this
>>> and similar cases.
>>
>> I might be mistaken, but in LibO/OOo importing (opening from non-ODF)
>> is done with File->Open, so the lack of that (Import) menu entry is
>> not such a big issue.
>
> The problem is that both Writer and Calc accept .txt, according to the
> selections in the File | Open menu, but there is apparently no way to
> prevent the .txt from going to Writer from File | Open even if the
> Spreadsheets list of extensions has been selected.

There *is* a way, at least here with 3.3.3 (version details in
signature). If you pick the right file type (in the File -> Open file
picker), "Text CSV (*.csv;*.txt)" it opens in calc, no matter if the
name ends with .txt or with .csv.

The CSV option is there and works. But there *is* an unexpected
behavior, when you pick the "Spreadsheets" filter -- it opens in Writer.

--
Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg

LibreOffice 3.3.3