John

On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 11:19 +0100, John B wrote:

> Hi Alex
>
> I am hopeless. I tried the wizard in 3.3.3, sure enough the fields were
> added but displayed as a spreadsheet (as is data) instead of a
> re-designable format for just one record, AND the design /edit button is
> greyed out (as are most of the other buttons) and at the top,  the
> wizard says "read only".  There is also no matrix.
>
> So bearing in mind what you said about creating / saving  I did that in
> the hope that when I re-loaded it, I could edit it, but no, it opens in
> Word and not the Design module of Base.
>
> It makes no sense ! - its hard work!
>
> Also on some of my larger databases, on attempting to load, the software
> froze (repeatable), the cure is to delete "soffice.exe" (Ctrl-Alt-Del)
> and away it goes (it unfreezes) - I was so surprised.
>

> Grrrrr
>

> John B

> On 20/06/2011 09:58, Alexander Thurgood wrote:
> > Le 20/06/11 10:41, John B a écrit :
> >
> > Hi John,
> >
> > Rather than start with a blank form, use the wizard to help you create
> > one. After opening your ODB file, click on the Form icon on the left. In
> > the uppermost pane, you should see the possibility to create a new form
> > using the wizard. Choose this option. The wizard will give you the
> > possibility to add the fields that you want to your form, one, several,
> > or all of them. The default settings proposed can be changed once the
> > form has been created.
> >
> > Be warned that there are currently bugs in the wizard that prevent the
> > user from setting the background colour, or anything other than a
> > background colour, and personalising the styles of the presentation of
> > the fields in the form, but again, you should be able to correct these
> > once the form has been created.
> >
> > Alex

> > 19:33:00

Is the dBase file a dbf?  If so, you might try importing it into Calc.
dbf files are listed with various spreadsheet formats that you could
open/import. It depends on what you plan to do with the data if this is
viable option.

Personally I never liked database wizards because I needed fields they
did not provide. If select on "Create Table in Design View" a new window
will open and you can name your fields and select the type of data they
will contain. If you do not assign a key field when you first save the
table you will be asked if you want a key field (Normally you should say
Yes or OK).

--
Jay Lozier
jsloz...@gmail.com