The format and content of the files in question (which I described in my first
message) is beyond my control.

Let me retry your request in this way:

0) Technical prerequisites: Running LibreOffice 3.3.3 under WinXP I have a spreadsheet with 2 tables imported from text files which I receive on a regular basis from other departments of our organization.

1) A list of persons with an ID number, name, forname, birthday, address info and more:
0 Smith Jennifer 1967-07-09 ...
1 Smith John 1988-07-29 ...
2 Doe Farina 1999-11-12 ...

2) A membership list with person ID, entry date, department
1 2003-12-03 Helsinki
2 2007-01-01 Stockholm
0 2010-11-11 London
2 2009-01-31 Berlin

3)Now I want to merge both lists so they look like

Smith John 1988-07-29 2003-12-03 Helsinki ...
Doe Farina 1999-11-12 2007-01-01 Stockholm ...
Smith Jennifer 1967-07-09 2010-11-11 London ...
Doe Farina 1999-11-12 2009-01-31 Berlin ...

where the membership's person-ID is merged with the membership information.

This entirely technical information about what you have and where you want to go could serve as a platform where anybody on this list could be involved with some hints, tips, suggestions how to process these concrete example data in a spreadsheet, in a database, in a scripting language. Example data can be copied into a spreadsheet very easily and from there into a database.