On 15/08/11 15:14, anthropornis wrote:
Hello,

My understanding is that the .odb file format is XML-based (?), so I
wondered if there was a way to do a daily dump of a remote PostreSQL
database to a .sql file (DDL and DML included), and then covert / export
/ iteratively read the SQL into an offline LibreOffice database (as XML?)?

Thanks,
Derrick

Base is primarily a translator between various backends and LibreOffice.

It does however use HyperSQL [1, 2] to create stand alone databases.
[1] http://hsqldb.org/
[2] http://hsqldb.org/web/hsqlUsing.html

This is a relational database engine written in Java.

The user guide can be found here...
http://hsqldb.org/doc/2.0/guide/index.html

HyperSQL: Compatibility With Other RDBMS...
http://hsqldb.org/doc/2.0/guide/deployment-chapt.html#N14266

I believe the XML ODB file your are alluding to contains the information on views, forms, reports and connections -- *not data*.

Apparently HyperSQL has a transfer tool that can be used to dump and restore data from various backends.
http://hsqldb.org/doc/guide/apg.html#N12D9E

I suggest you visit their forum on help regarding use of this tool.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hsqldb/forums/forum/73674

--
Cheers Simon

   Simon Cropper
   Website Administrator
   http://www.fossworkflowguides.com
   The fossWorkflow Guides
   (c) Simon Cropper CC-BY-SA 3.0 Australia
   http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/au/deed.en