Hi

On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 15:19 -0400, webmaster for Kracked Press
Productions wrote:

> To be honest, I have written a database program for a mainframe.  I
> really like the backend/frontend type.  You can choose what database you
> want to use that is best for your needs.  MySQL seems to be the most
> popular for the non-MS ones.  Also is you do any Browser/server/web
> based access to these databases, you should choose MySQL.
>
> The real part about databases is the way you access the data in the
> system.  Entry forms and Reports are the main stay for database
> programmers.  So it would be better to use the well-established backend
> database systems and dedicate your office suite programming to access
> packages for those popular systems.
>
> To be honest, would you want to use a database system that only one
> package can access, or one that you can use for your office package
> related documents and web-based access methods at the same time?  Use LO
> to do the entry and reports, and use HTML/browser based viewing for
> those will low computer skills.  It seems most offices now have HTML
> based access to databases or other customer information.  I think if you
> have network based database access, that is the way to go.  I would use
> LO to do the initial work for setting up the database and the initial
> data entry work, then use HTML/Browser based access for my users.  Some
> fields/records would require the admin/LO forms to do any edits to, as a
> security feature though.
>
> SO it would make sense for LibreOffice to use the popular database
> formats, like MySQL, and concentrate on the access forms/reports for
> those bases.  That is what I did for my Mainframe programming work, let
> other define the database and I create the data entry and reports.

Ubuntu provides connections for generic ODBC and specific connectors for
MySQL, PostgreSQL and other databases to LO and other front-ends. I
assume this is done in other Linux distros. I like using Base with
MySQL/MariaDB because its connection is straightforward.

Jay Lozier
jsloz...@gmail.com