On 10/18/2011 02:44 PM, Don C. Myers wrote:
> I've been enjoying it. With respect to the LibreOffice/Base issue, I did
> one clean install of the 64 bit Ubuntu 11.10, and three upgrades from
> 11.04. On the clean install, Sun (Oracle) Java is not installed nor is
> it available in the repository nor is it available from a partner. If
> you really have to have it it can be installed if you look hard. What I
> read said Ubuntu felt that the Open JDK had progressed far enough and
> was secure, and that it would take care of almost anybody's needs. I
> just left things the way the default install did it and didn't install
> Sun Java. I uninstalled the packaged LibreOffice that came with Ubuntu,
> and then installed the 3.4.3 that is directly from LibreOffice. I then
> tried Base. It was TERRIBLY slow. I checked what it said the Java was,
> and it said it was Sun Microsystems, Inc. Version 1.6.0_23. With a clean
> install, where did it come from??? Maybe it read the OpenJDK as being
> 1.6.0_23 as being the Sun Version. I don't know. So the I installed
> 1.6.0_21 and Base was very happy again!!!!!!! In Synaptic there is no
> evidence that Sun Java 1.6.0_23 is installed, nor does 1.6.0_21 show up
> the way we are installing it. Could it have been shipped with Base?
If you would have /read/ what it said, you would have seen that it was
*openJDK* version 1.6.0_23 (which of course is the Sun/Oracle package) -
bottom of the Java options panel:
Location:/usr/lib/jvm/java6-openjdk/jre

Note: You might want to install the full LO as the initial install
misses quite a few components (same as the (U)OOo did:

$ sudo apt-get install libreoffice

That will pull in additional packages such as libhsqldb-java,
libreoffice-java-common etc.

Regarding sun-java6-jre: it's not included due to Oracle's recent
licensing changes.
See:<http://sylvestre.ledru.info/blog/sylvestre/2011/08/26/sun_java6_packages_removed_from_debian_u>
and
http://robilad.livejournal.com/90792.html

So any further bug reports regarding Ubuntu/linux from 11.10 onward will
have to deal with openJDK instead as I doubt that Ubuntu will accept any
further bug reports regarding sun-java6.

You can file a bug report against openjdk here:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openjdk-6/+bugs
and libreoffice (with ref to openjdk) here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffic
if something is broken in your distro version. The Ubuntu LO maintainers
can then 'upstream' the bugs if necessary.