It makes perfect sense that OOo and LO could be installed side by side and also
run at the same time.

The problem is that they all lay claim to the same program names, library
names, and probably registry settings.

(The use of the same program names is why Windows, for example, can't have Open
With ... for both
LO, and OOo on the association of programs with file extensions, such as .odt
and .ods.  (But one can
add Open With ... Microsoft Word, WinZip, etc.  Different versions of the same
product are harder for Windows to distinguish with Open With ..., absent some
creative work on the part of the producers of those product versions.)

Now that there are different lineages progressing from a common OO.o 3.2-or-so
base, there needs to be a way to avoid collisions with parallel efforts and the
common past versions.

For users, all of their choices should work.  Running a portable version should
work.  Having user accounts with different versions should work, etc.  I
suspect that these cases have simply not been dealt with systematically,
although clearly there has been some attention to it. And if it is by design to
not all concurrent operation, I would expect gentle handling when an user
violates that constraint.

(I have no recommendation on what installs are on top of what previous versions
of the same product. It may be a little too course-grained that any LO 3.y will
replace any LO 3.x where x < y, although that is a second-order problem.  It is
good that LO 3.y does not replace OOo 3.x, and vice versa.)

 - Dennis