On 10/29/2011 02:17 PM, Regina Henschel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Tom Davies schrieb:
>> Hi :) There is a guide to help avoid the usual conflicts
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel
>>
>> I think the problems are mostly when both version are open at the
>> same time, for example if one is permanently kinda open by having
>> it's QuickLauncher on. Regards from Tom :)
>
> You can run the programs the same time, if each instance uses a
> different folder for the user settings. Also the other way round is
> possible, running one application with different users settings at the
> same time, again different folders for the user settings are needed.
>
> Only the association between document type and program is unique.

That is still a *serious* issue. Please see:

<http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.devel/4130>
and in particular:
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.devel/4359>
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.devel/4360>

You can of course find the thread in the .dev list under "Change
executable/sh names".

The issue seems to have fallen on deaf ears following that thread. Seems
to me that with all the thousands of lines of code 'clean-up' reported
by TDF dev, the actual program .exe's could have been renamed from
swriter to lowriter et al or similar by now.