On 01/31/2012 05:35 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :
i would go with Andreas' suggestion.  An external back-end but finding a small
non-Java-dependant one might be tricky.  MySql and it's fork (successor?)
MariaDb are probably too heavy.  Is Postgresql better for smaller databases?
A small database back-end that might be suitable is SQLite. Personally I prefer MySQL/MariaDB over Postgresql because more third-party documentation is available and I think Postgresql is heavier.

If you have to have java then the best one seems to be 6u21.  If you can get it
all working with a newer version then great but past the 6u24 they seem to
cause increasing problems.  I was really hoping that 3.5.x would allow people
to use java 7.  I didn't realise there was already an 8!!  Has 7 already been
found to have serious security issues?

--- On Tue, 31/1/12, Pertti Rönnberg<p...@elisanet.fi>  wrote:

From: Pertti Rönnberg<p...@elisanet.fi>
Subject: [libreoffice-users] How get LibreO-Base working?
To: "Users LibreOffice"<users@global.libreoffice.org>
Date: Tuesday, 31 January, 2012, 18:31

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen  out there.
I am confused -- can you help  me? I recently installed LibreOffice-v3.4.5 after beeing a happy OO-user in many
many years. I now need to make a couple of relational databases (subforms&-reports) and decided to try
LibreO's Base. On my main-PC (AMD Athlon II X3 445, Win7Prof/32bit) the LO's Base caused the program to stop
(Write&Calc work OK). I uninstalled LO, removed folders via WinExplorer, rebooted, installed LOv3.4.5 again
and when asked for a new JRE I tried to understand the instructions found and first installed JRE8
(jre-8-ea-bin-b21-windows-i586-13_jan_2012.exe) and then JRE7 (jre-7u2-windows-i586.exe) and loaded both as
instructed into LO (LO-page: tools/options/LibreOffice/java). Now LO didn't stop but neither of the JREs seem to
be sufficient /"LibreO requires a JRE to perform this task. The selected JRE is defective. Please select
and install a new JRE/" and then "/connection to datasource ("db-name") could not be
established -- no Java
  installation could be found; check installation/". I did my best several
times.
Note. After doing exactly same install process on my laptop (Win7Prem/64bit)
the LO(64bit), Base included, works fine.
Did I do something wrong, wrong versions, is it the 32bit make of LO or the
LO-Base itself, is the JRE(32bit) wrong, -- or what? I like the graphical
interface but I don't want to go back to OO and I don't want to buy a MSAccess,
and for my simple needs a MySQL/PHP/Apache seems too heavy to learn.
Thanks in advance.
Pepe Rönnberg (Finland)

Jay Lozier
jsloz...@gmail.com