Jean-Francois Nifenecker wrote:
> What bothers me the more on the users lists (FR is the same for that
> matter) is the recurring motto Regina sang: "discussing here will
> not make it appear."

Hi Jean-Francois,

well, but it's true - *someone* would need to carry the discussion
to the relevant list, see below. I would be very surprised if this
is different in any other free software project of this size.

> To tell the truth, this is a shoking answer. Users may not wish to
> register to some "strange" or hidden list for a one-shot message,
> non-english speaking users might feel they are set aside. As the
> users lists are frequently visited by members of TDF, it would seem
> important these knowledgeable people report to the devs, if the devs
> themselves don't lurk round here (which is a shame
> development-wise).

If you want the devs to actually work on code, instead of reading
emails all day (mind that, typically, the core developer list has
some 1000+ postings alone per month), it has to be like this.
Someone would need to mine for the bits of developer-relevant
information among sometimes rather general discussions, distill it
down to actionable content, and bring it to the right place -
ux-advise for the question at hand.

If you're really passionate about this topic, it could be you -
isn't it always better to be part of the solution, rather than part
of the problem? ;)

Cheers,

-- Thorsten