On 02/27/2012 01:37 AM, e-letter wrote:
> Readers,
>
> For those people that consider high quality software to be of highest
> priority, more important than new features, please help to perform
> quality assurance manual software tests.
>
> There is a web page which describes manual testing:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/Testing/Manual_Tests. Clearly,
> there are insufficient testers...

Clearly:
<quote>
IMPORTANT: Obsoleted by Litmus

Litmus is a useful tool for organizing manual tests. Please, help us to
migrate all these test cases there and remove them from this wiki page.
</quote>

So why even point 'users' to that page?

> Please also subscribe to the quality assurance mailing list:
>
> There are many bugs that seem to occur after so-called "upgrade".
> People who make the effort to report bugs: please consider how
> important each bug is. If it is of major importance, the ability to
> remove the bug must become part of the quality assurance manual test,
> i.e. the software version is not passed as good quality until that bug
> is removed.
>
> Testing for the success in solving the bug needs to be approved by
> using 'litmus' (https://tcm.documentfoundation.org). So, the behaviour
> that caused the bug needs to be recorded and entered into litmus.
>
> This should prevent regression bugs and improve software quality in
> the long-term.

Cool. Have you *actually* installed 3.5.1rc1 (as noted in the litmus test)?
*3.5.1 RC* build to test the cases in this run.

If you did (and you'd need to find it someplace other than:
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/pre-releases/ and (currently) only
on http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/
you'd find that the install (at least on a debian linux system) smokes
your existing 3.5.0 install (remember 3.5.0 is the released version).

So, while I (we?) appreciate your efforts to get users on this "user"
list as pre-release testers, I'd be overly cautious about asking "users"
on this list to perform litmus tests... At least not without explaining
in *detail* what is required, and how to avoid existing LO standard
installations being blown away by a pre-release version.

IMO it's probably better for 'users' on this list to wait to
test/participate when http://www.libreoffice.org/download/pre-releases/
actually shows a pre-release version. *And* testers understand the
implications of testing. This will avoid the "LO blew up my thesis" and
wiped out all of my exisiting templates/files/settings. (Note: I'm not
making light of those that do report such, but instead trying to avoid
such reports here in the first place as they are *serious* issues & can
happen if you don't understand what you are doing when you "test".)

Gary Lee