Thanks for all of this.

The only wizard I've used on this is the mailmerge wizard, which I
can't avoid (can I?)  Is that the only "manual", or is there a way to
edit the file more manually than that, presumably not through Writer.
Is it just xml?

Yes, every line has a conditional paragraph field at the beginning of
it.  A couple of them probably don't need it, every address label
will almost ceratinly have some kind of person's name for example,
but I put it there anyway.  They seem to be in the right place
(before the database field) and contain the right conditions.  I
could see them when I turned on  "view field names", and that let me
look at their properties more easily.

These problems show up without an expert to pdf, I see them just at
the "Edit document" stage of the mailmerge wizard, although I also
went to the next stage, and they do appear there too.

Mark Stanton
One small step for mankind...