Gilles wrote:

Johnny Rosenberg wrote
The easiest thing is probably to select one cell, select FOOD, hit Ctrl+c,
select all the other cells in which you want the word FOOD (using Ctrl or
Shift), hit Ctrl+v.

Thanks much for the tip. It's fast enough.

Tom wrote
How about using GnuCash?

Thanks for the idea. I know about GnuCash, but it's a bit too feature-rich
just to compute how much money I spend on what, and besides my bank no
longer provides data in CSV but rather as PDF :-/

A database will also do what you want to do. Queries will provide you with the information you need. I use such a database. One query tells me the balance of all my financial accounts (9 of them). Two queries break down my expenses into budget categories; one is for the present month, and the second is for the previous month. This way I can compare expenses for the two month by category. Both queries have a column for the budgeted amounts for each category as well.

--Dan