I got "spoiled" with the GNOME on Ubuntu 10.04 and when Unity became the default for Ubuntu last year, I did not like it. I was told to use MATE instead of GNOME 3 shell, since it was not fully working as of late Spring. I could be better now, but I do not know. I will have to install it on my 12.04 laptop and test it out.