The connection we use in the northern hemisphere is different from
that in the southern hemisphere;
            using satellites up here came after the cables were installed.
                [laid by U.S.-Britain ca. '40s]

       -> when Steve Jobs had the idea of connecting the world's
communication, he used the existing cables, etc. ...
            why there cannot be a satellite for the southern hemisphere
which speaks with the northern one  [??? - is the $64,000 question  ;-) ]

       BUT those in the southern hemisphere should be better off than us up
here if either (1) these hackers are able to somehow knock out the
satellite and/or if (2) some asteroid [or whatever] knocks it out.

Hi :)