On 10/18/2012 01:22 PM, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
I've been using LibreOffice on Ubuntu 10.04 for many months. I
     transcribe recorded interviews. The format includes the
     identification of the speaker at the left margin followed by what
     they said. To speed up the typing I use the short abbreviation I:
     when the interviewer is speaking, and M: or F: when the interviewee
     is speaking. When I'm all done I use FindReplace to change I:
     toInterviewer:, and then change M: (or F:) toInterviewee:.
     This process has been working fine for months. The day before
     yesterday it stopped applying the italic format during replace.How do I
figure out what happened, and then how do I fix it? The
     last few interviews have been only a few pages long, so reformatting
     each Interviewer: and Interviewee: by hand wasn't too big of a
     problem. I'm about to start on some longer interviews and I want to
     fix the problem before I start.--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
      With some experimentation, I did the following:
When typing the I:, M:, and F:, I italicized them. In terms of keystrokes this is
1) Control+I followed by I: followed by  Control+I.
2) Control+I followed by M: followed by  Control+I.
3) Control+I followed by F: followed by  Control+I.
Then when I did the find and replace, the replacement to the style of what I searched for. This is what I think you were looking for.

--Dan