On Tue, 4 Dec 2012, anne-ology wrote:

      you took all my puns away ...

just doing humanity a service.

          I haven't any more; but ne'er fear,
          the punster will re-appear  ;-)

we are armed.

      And, by the way, I really haven't learned what rsync is - I guess I
could 'search' and learn  ;-)

it's a utility for transferring files, especially backing them up. so I do a frequent backup of certain directories I have on a server to my home computer. rsync is fast and will only make copies of stuff that's not already at the destination (if you set it to work that way).

I think the 'r' stands for 'remote' but I don't know; the source doesn't need to be 'remote' though. I just backed up one older external drive I have (was making funny noises) to another newer one.

F.