Tom wrote:

> I think LaTeX is far more sophisticated for proper professional
> printing. My guess would be that commercial publishing houses convert
> from Writer or Word into LaTeX (or something) and then perhaps reapply
> formatting.

I doubt that. Most professional printing and publishing nowadays is done
from PDFs supplied by the publisher to the printer.

> Even so-called Desktop Publishing tools such as Publisher tend to
> mangle things quite badly. The quality of documents created with
> Writer is far far higher but it's still unlikely to compete with
> proper DTP tools such as LaTeX.

But kerning is a function of the font, not of the application. The
kerning in Libre Office is fine, provided the appropriate kerning is
built in to the fonts you use. I have used Libre Office (with various
fonts) in professional publishing. The texts are printed to PDF, the
PDFS are sent to the printers, and the results are perfect.