Hi :)
The documentation team needs a LOT more people.  At the moment it barely has
enough to just work on the guides (which were extremely well received at Scale
btw).

If these other attempts at documentation are done through by individuals
through blogs and personal spaces then when/if those individuals "run out of
steam"  or if outside life takes over then the work would be lost or difficult
to carry on with - or even difficult to find at all.  By joining the
Documentation Team you can use centralised resources such as their ODFAuthors
site to make the work more likely to be continued by others.  Other people in
the team are often helpful and encouraging and are experienced at writing for
non-technical end-users and can help gain consistent use of terms and phrases.
Joining the team means your work will not get wasted if unforeseen
circumstances (such as suddenly gaining a shed load more clients) conspire to
reduce the amount of time you can spend on the work.

People are encouraged to join in with the work they are currently doing in
order to gain some experience with their process and then perhaps use that
experience to get on with their original plans.