2013/3/9 Tom Davies <tomdavie...@yahoo.co.uk>:
> Hi :)
> I think you might be over-complicating it?  Just typign the number in as a
> number and letting the formatting do it's magic seems a much easier route!

Well, I don't know what the OP usually does, but maybe he goes to a
website somewhere, highlight a a table or something and then paste it
into calc?

Of course he could then do a Search/Replace to get rid of the
thousands separator and the dollar sign, and form there it is probably
quite a lot easier to do the rest. But it feels like that's at least
one step too much… It's easy to create a macro that does all the
necessary Search/Replace steps in one single step, though.

Johnny Rosenberg