Wolfgang,

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm trying to understand what you're saying. You wrote:

In essence, this boils down to the fact that all sane document
processing applications (whether Wordperfect, Framemaker or dozens
of others, LaTeX or anything that outputs structured XML) use nestable
open- and close-"tags", while Word and LO/OO don't.

I've created my own paragraph styles, and I have one called "BodySingle." It's just a single-spaced body of text with no paragraph indents. When I create a document in WordPerfect (an old Version 7) and look at a document in reveal codes, I get a code that says, for example, "Para Style: BodySingle" before each paragraph that has BodySingle applied to it and the same code at the end of each paragraph with that style.

When I look at a similar document in LO's "content.xml" file, I see "<text:p text:style-name="BodySingle">" before each BodySingle paragraph and a </text:p> at the end of each paragraph.

The only real difference I see is that LO ends each paragraph with a more generic tag </text:p:> with no specific reference to the applied style whereas WordPerfect ends each paragraph with a specific reference to the applied style.

Is that the distinction you're making between the two methods, and if so, how does that matter?

Virgil