Hi :)
That sounds a lot like LaTeX being best if you stick with their defaults so it
kinda makes sense to me.  I think the Docs Team (i think mostly Dan & Jean
wasn't it?) experimented with a few ways of getting ePubs from the guides and
they might have useful ideas about it even though it's years later already.