> Why not set a cell to the formula "=right(len(CELL)-1) which returns the
> all the characters except for the first.
> --

No, that won't work. You probably meant:
 =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)

where "A1" is the 'text' cell. But that one will fail too, because
the initial single quotation mark is not really part of the content
of the cell. (Note: it might work in some particular situation, but
it is not a generic method.)

The 'VALUE' method is a valid workaround, but it might be a "heavy"
method, depending on the amount of data. I would prefer the "'paste
special'+multiply by 1" method to work.

Regards,
Ady.