On 02/20/2014 03:43 AM, edo1 wrote:
Thanks guys. Saving under a new name works as you suggested. I wonder, does
it rise to a bug that saving and marking read-only causes this lockup? -
edo1

I have been using the "save as new name" for many years. I have done this with LO, OOo, and earlier word processors, since the early days of Windows PCs.

As for a "bug", I do not know what you are stating the bug would be. It is not clear to me this morning. If you are saying that trying to edit a read-only file, or use the standard "Save" option freezes or locks up LO, then this might be a bug.

To be honest, I tend to open documents that are attached to an email, directly into LO. Unless I save the file before opening it, I cannot edit it. That includes doing the "Save As" option. I tend to open these documents, from trusted people I deal with on a weekly or monthly basis, before I save them outside of the "temporary folders" the system stores them in. That way, I can decide if I want to save them or not. A good third of these documents I do not need, so they are not saved.

So, the use of "Save As" with read-only files, created as read-only in various ways and reasons, is something that is a part of my office suite activities since the early 90's.