Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:
> On 02/26/2014 10:43 PM, Dale Rebgetz wrote:
>>> There is a 10 MB file size limit, which my book exceeds due to the
>>> included pictures.
>> Thomas, beginning with LibreOffice 4.1 there is a new feature where if
>> you right-click on an image in your document you will see the option
>> "Compress Graphic...".
>>
>> This opens a dialogue box where you are provided with information about
>> that image (including its current size), proposed compression settings,
>> and a Calculate button to see the new size of that image if you were to
>> accept those settings.
>>
>> I have not found a way to do this on all the images at once.
>>
>> Because the changes are permanent, I suggest you *first* save a copy of
>> the original (large) document. That way you can try again if you
>> compress the images too much and loose too much image quality.
>>
>> Dale.
> What format and compression "level" are you using for your images?
>
> You could always use JPG and make the image "compressed" to the greatest
> level that still a good viewable quality. Also, make sure you images are
> the "exact" size you want for the document and not need to resize it to
> a smaller size in the document to fit the image area you are using. That
> will reduce the amount of "space" in the file needed to store the image.
> I have seen too many documents with nearly full page size images that
> are reduced to a visible one of less that 2 inches. That just add a lot
> of file size to the document that is not needed.
>
> So, make you image out side your document the visible size and
> compression level you want/need first, then you do not need to resize it
> in the document and add unneeded file space/size in your document.

Many image formats, especially jpeg images downloaded from digital
cameras, contain metadata tags (eg camera maker/model, time/date and
many others). Removing all these metadata tags can sometimes make a
worthwhile contribution to reducing the size of your image files.

A handy little program I use for resizing, compressing and stripping
metadata from images before inserting them into a document is "FastStone
Image Viewer": http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm Not OSS, but
free for personal use. A Windows only program, but undoubtedly there are
equal or better ones for other platforms.

Dave