Hi :)
There will be a lot of pranks and malware aimed at Xp users offering them
free upgrades and what-not.  Apparently it has already started.  Just
ignore them all.

Wrt "MS Security Essentials" best bet is to install AVG (apparently best of
the free anti-viruses (but according to who, right?)) or one of the many
other choices and after updating it and scanning your machine then
uninstall MS Essentials.  I just did this on the office machines last
night.

As far as your Xp machine goes i would install a dual-boot there now too
and just try to avoid using Xp as much as posible on it.

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS has 3 years worth of support remaining and was released 2
years ago in 2012.  The 14.04 LTS was released a couple of days ago so it
has only just started it's 5 years worth of support.  The 16.04 is due out
in 2016.

So, on your 12.04 you should get a notification letting you know you can
upgrade.  When/if you decline then you wont see it again for maybe a month,
when they release their first "Service Pack".

Generally i would go with Garvin's usual advice and hold off on upgrading
for a while.  I have just tried it on a couple of machines and it seems
kinda fine but i'm going to let them settle for a while before rolling it
out to all the rest.