Hi :)
That might be a better route!

The database route might be better if the wide-eyed-end-users were going to
enter the data directly onto a computer such as a hand-held device or
tablet or something.  Sadly LIbreOffice does not yet work on hand-held
devices but AndrOO does but i'm not sure if the Base component is included.
 So the weeus might have to use a desktop machine for it.

I didn't quite follow Brian's instructions but that might be because i've
got a fever and only read it hastily.  Writer does sound like a good module
to use.  I'm guessing that each module would have different advantages.

I had a quick stab at doing this in Calc but just on a single worksheet to
try to take advantage of the auto-increment feature but it didn't work well
when there was a gap between the dates.  Using multiple sheets didn't seem
likely to work either.

I also had a quick go at creating a copy of the file, renaming the
file-ending to zip and then editing the "contents.xml".  It kinda worked
with minimal info on each page but i could imagine it become hideously
turgid with even a little more information on the pages.