It could be easier if LO had a python macro based system like gnumeric
has, isn't it?
I've found convenient to install LO from the official release instead
of the deb of ubuntu.
I have ubuntu maverick 10.10 with  LO Version: 4.2.1.1 Build ID:
d7dbbd7842e6a58b0f521599204e827654e1fb8b, installed in a very
straightforward way
besides ubuntu 14.04.