Hi :)
Ahh, i tried both ways but i think both go through Dolphin don't they?

I've used Dolphin on non-KDE when Nautilus let me down with network-shares
on a different network and it worked a treat then.  I didn't think of
trying a different file-browser.  Konqueror is another good KDE one isn't
it?

I am not sure how the network drive has been mounted.  It has just occurred
to me that i didn't try opening any other types of files over the network
before leaving the office.

I'm at home now and ssh'd into the company network so i can reinstall
LibreOffice remotely and i'd already torrented both "Fresh" and "Still" so
i have got choices wrt that.

Thanks for the hints!  Gives me things to try :))