On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 16:44:49 +0200
"hdv@gmail" <hdv.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2014-08-29 13:59, Tom Davies wrote:
> > Hi :)
> > Hm, but Ubuntu has no troubles with network files.  I thought i
> > was on LO 3.5.7 but i might have upgraded.  I'm out of the office
> > for a few hours again but could check later.
> >
> > Our file-server is a Debian one and done using a Samba share.  No
> > other files are affected so it's only when using LO to open them.

[snip]

> Some additional data I just received from one of the colleagues.
> This problem also appeared on Windows 7 and 8 clients.

Funny this popped-up when it did.  We just had a HelpDesk report,
last week, of a similar problem.  .xls files that a user had been
opening for read for years all-of-a-sudden wouldn't open.  Windows 7
and (if memory serves) MSO 2007.  File modification dates indicated
they hadn't been modified in years.  I tested it on my desktop (Ubuntu
13.x, IIRC) and LO would churn for a while, then emit a "something
wrong in the format/encoding/something" kind of an error and bail.
(Sorry for the useless error message info.  I never bothered
recording it because I never believed it to be an LO problem.)

I copied the files to my local machine, using scp, and they opened
right up.  I created a parallel directory on the server, copied the
files from the original directory into that, and they opened just
fine. I deleted the original directory and renamed the new one to the
original's name, and they opened just fine.

I'm suspecting a Samba screw-up (cached metadata?), on the server, in
my case.

> But one of
> the more technically versed persons thought it might have to do
> with the quality of the network connection.
[snip]

Not in my case.  Both the server in question and my desktop are
connected to the backbone switch with very short (less than 10m)
cable runs.

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is