On 9-5-2015 20:40, A wrote:

I have multiple spreadsheet files that each represent one unique item.
As an analogy, think of the spreadsheet as a basket that contains a
variety of eggs (both calculated and hand-entered data). I have multiple
baskets each with multiple eggs.  Each basket (spreadsheet) is
associated with one person.  Each person can have multiple baskets
(although that's probably not relevant).

I also have a letter, with which I want to do a mail merge - against
each spreadsheet.  i.e. each letter needs to draw multiple pieces of
data (eggs) from each spreadsheet, one letter per spreadsheet.

Normally to do a mail merge you have one data source.  The problem of
course is that I don't have one data source, I have an unknown number -
each spreadsheet is a data source.  So I'm at a loss as to how to mail
merge against multiple data sources in an automated fashion.

Thank you in advance.

If one person has multiple baskets (=sheets), will this person receive one letter? or multiple letters?

This looks like (in SQL):
SELECT egg1, egg2, egg3 FROM basket1
UNION
SELECT egg2, egg3, egg4 FROM basket2
UNION
SELECT egg3, egg4, egg5 FROM basket3

How equal/similar are these eggs, and the number of eggs in a basket?