On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 10:38 AM, Tom Davies <tomc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi :)
>
> Thanks for seeking feedback from here before posting a
> bug-report/feature-request.  As you know, sometimes a change in behaviour is
> required to consolidate inconsistent behaviour or to smooth out other
> coding, or to keep-up with current trends in other, similar(ish) programs or
> happens somewhat unintentionally.  Usually any such changes are noted in the
> change-log, neatly re-written at;
> https://www.libreoffice.org/download/release-notes/
>
> LibreOffice/OpenOffice is over 10 years old and a lot has changed in that
> time.  Hopefully the newer ways are easy to adapt to and are an improvement.
> Where that is not the case it's fairly easy to post a bug-report although
> carefully phrasing it as a feature-request seems to have more chance of
> attracting interest.
>
> So, please give it a fair go but feel free to post a
> bug-report/feature-request now that you've narrowed it down to being a
> change-of-focus issue.
>
> Good luck and regards from
> Tom :)

I am unsure whether I should open a bug report / enhancement request,
considering that I have not tested 5.1.x.

From Stuart's reply, I understood that some things have been changing
in the Startup Screen, and that they are still changing. I would guess
that having a request for enhancement without actually reporting the
behavior of the most current / updated release (5.1.x) would not
attract enough attention and would probably be considered an
incomplete report.

Additionally, the only version from the 5.0.x branch I have tested is
5.0.6.3, so the (initial) version number in which the behavior changed
would not be accurate (enough).

If I cannot test the current (5.1.x) behavior (because I am not ready
to update yet), how would I report a bug / request an enhancement? I
mean, I could, but it would probably be mostly ignored, wouldn't it?

I think it might be useful, before actually opening a request for
enhancement, if someone could try to replicate the behavior / tests in
the 5.1.x branch and report it here. Also, testing under other OSes
might be relevant too.

With more details and tests from different users under diverse
circumstances / versions, a request for enhancement might be more
relevant and taken more seriously.

Finally, I am still unsure whether this is really a request for
enhancement or rather a bug report with a regression between 4.4.x and
5.0.x, considering that the expected behavior was working correctly in
4.4.x, it is (partially) broken in 5.0.6.3 (and maybe in all the 5.0.x
branch), and I see no advantage from the users' perspective to not
have these shortcuts working from the start. Comments about this
matter would be very welcome.

I hope users can attempt these simple tests and report their results,
including the OS and version information, so a potential bug report /
request for enhancement would be actually worth.

TIA,
Ady.