Hi.  I am using Ubuntu xfce  with LibreOffice without problems since years.   I
mostly download the .deb packages from the internet sites via browser: they are
zipped, so I unpack them in a directory on the desktop, open a terminal in that
directory and run the command sudo dpkg -i *.deb in each subfolder containing
rhe .deb files.  Before installing a new version you should better purge the
previous one: sudo apt-get --purge libreoffice*.  In the last version ubuntu
uses apt instead of apt-get.

You can find some good guides usin duckduckgo (or google) looking for 'install
libreoffice on ubuntu x.y.

Repos are not always updated and maintained for the lst versions (it happens
they don't work properly), but installing from repository requires always sudo
apt-get install.  Unfortunately the last package manager in Ubuntu (Ubuntu
software center) doesn't find always packages, it has still some bugs.

Paolo

On Friday, November 4, 2016 3:39 AM, Ken Springer <snowsh...@q.com> wrote:
On 10/31/16 6:45 PM, Virgil Arrington wrote:
> Here's how I did it with Ubuntu 14.04LTS. I imagine it might work with Mint,
> which is based on Ubuntu.
>

> Method 1
>
> I opened a command line terminal (With Ubuntu, it's Ctrl-Alt-t).
>
> I typed in the following commands, hitting <enter> after each line.
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/libreoffice-5-1
>
> sudo apt-get update
>

> Virgil

Hi, Virgil,

Method 2 does not work for me.  Theory, the Synaptic Package Manager in
17.3 is a bit different than what you have seen.  The exact steps you
mentioned can't be done, and I made my "best guess" as to the correct
selections I see in 17.3 here.  What I've ended up with is a cursor

<snip>

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.11.6