On 01/11/16 09:16, Robert Großkopf wrote:

Hi Tim,
What I do is unpack the install files [I use .deb files] and place
them all in a temporary folder I call "lib".  Nice and simple, I
have that folder in the "home" folder called "timothy".

This will give me "/home/timothy/lib" while using the file manager
  package [on Mint] called "Caja".

Then I use the "Mate Terminal" [default command line for the MATE
desktop GUI]

This is my starting point for this laptop - yours will look
different since you will not have the same laptop and user name.
This is the default user folder for my laptop.

timothy@Gateway-NE56R12u:~$

I type in "cd lib"

timothy@Gateway-NE56R12u:~$ cd lib

I get this folder shown

timothy@Gateway-NE56R12u:~/lib$

At this point I use this command to install all of the .deb files
from that folder. I tend to place both the language and help .deb
files - if needed - in a different folder like lib2.

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

This will prompt me to five my superuser password.  Then it will
start a "long" install process for all of the .deb files in the
folder. The RPM system would have some different names for the
commands I use for the DEB based Linux OS [ I use Ubuntu with Mate
desktop]

So, if you have a folder off your home folder [or directory] with
the name of "lib" [home/timothy/lib], the command line is a very
easy route.

cd lib

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

After looking for this in the web I would make it the same way you
have described here. It's a little bit different to the tool, which is
delivered with OpenSuSE for system-managing with YAST, but it will
work well.
Don't know how to add a dircetory as repository in other sytems. But
with OpenSUSE it works well.

Regards

Robert

This installation method all looks overly complicated to me, and is one
of the reasons that I swapped over to MX-Linux where the system comes
as a package with installation instructions/prompts included. Plus the bonus
that the User Manual can be read/downloaded beforehand.

Gordon.