Thank you for this Alex. Not sure I'm computerate enough to know the difference between a JDK and a JRE. However, I do have 2 JREs installed, a 32-bit and a 64-bit.

Good news: it looks as if I may have cracked it, at least temporarily. Bad news: it might be a bug of some sort... potentially a bug in the user but worth feeding back what I've discovered.

I need to find time to restart my machine again to confirm what I'm about to say, when I do I'll post accordingly. Base was working fine last week (I normally 'sleep' my PC overnight), but did a restart ovver the weekend and that's where the trouble started.

In Tools - Options - Advanced the two JREs look identical. After posting my query, and just for the hell of it, I tried selecting the other one. That made no difference. So I shut down LO, re-opened it and tried again. Still no joy. So I went back in and selected the original again. Still no joy with Base, so for one last thing I shut down LO yet again. This time, Base worked when I re-opened it!

If that's what it takes, I can live with it, though I'd rather not have to. But if that gives someone a clue where to look for an issue, it would be most welcome.

Best wishes,
Keith